Thursday, November 18, 2010

JUST SMILE:)

It wasn't long into the project that I learned the value of a single simple smile.
Almost every patient I see will approach me with a solemn look on their face; I can't say I blame them as I'm sure none of them know what to expect from us.
I smile at each patient, without fail (you will soon understand why).  As soon as they see it, I receive a beautiful smile in response.  Every single time!
On Tuesday, one in particular brought me to tears.  It was in the afternoon, so this gentleman had been waiting a long time to be seen.  He was in his late forties, very tall and definitely strong looking but he had a worried look  on his face.
We (my interpreter and I) waved him over and he looked timidly at the ground as he approached the visual acuity chart.  As he got close, I greeted him with a "good afternoon" and when he looked up I made sure to give him one of my bestest, brightest smiles.  His face lit up and he beamed at me as my heart nearly burst from my chest.  A smile is contagious, infectious, comforting, encouraging and does nothing but make you feel good; it doesn't matter if you're giving someone a smile, receiving one or even just smiling to yourself!
A smile is universal currency and it is absolutely priceless!!
So smile!

Georgina
TWECS team member







9 comments:

  1. Speaking of smiles. These two seem like they are now fast friends. What a gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my sister! I'm so PROUD!!!!! (the one with the huge smile, standing with the fellow looking pleased as punch with his new specs)
    Robin Herman, Collingwood, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys, can someone please tell me the names of those two girls (left) in the first photo? I want to stay connected with them because they were the ones who gave my eyeglasses personally, and I happened to like them so much for being so nice to every Filipino during that medical mission. I've been so into those girls. I wanna thank them, and of course, to all who participated/donated/served the Filipinos on those days. I hope to get a response from you guys. No one has an idea how i searched different links just to find these photos (including those girls I liked ;D). Thank you guys, and thank you Canadians. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ms lyssa-- they are ms. ashley and ms.georgina..=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Donna louise - OMG! Thank you so much. :) Are you one of those girls who's also here in the Philippines (particularly Olongapo)??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very proud to say that beaming lady there is my wife. She tried to do this two years ago but got sick - spent 3 days in hospital in the Philipines and another week locally when she got home. The smile on her face shows you why she went back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ms.lyssa-- yes i am.. i'm assigned at the registration.. with ms. susan..=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm, i have the picture of the three girls with me taken on November 23 (i guess). Those girls were Georgina, Ashley ( thanks for giving the names ^_^ ) and the other one who's very cute chubby girl (hope i also have her name). Soon i'll upload that picture here in my blogger account. Anw, you already guys left Philippines?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks all the member of twecs thank you very much

    ReplyDelete