Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why do we do this?

I just thought I would set the record straight, we get lots of praise for doing these kinds of projects but in reality we do it for ourselves. Today after helping about 100 people with reading glasses there came along a 43 year old women named Christina with her old glasses of -8.75 Diopters and she needed  -14 Diopters. When I was in Vancouver checking  glasses I came across this pair of donated glasses in excellent condition and thought I'm going to bring this pair. I kept them in a special place in case they were needed. Well when I saw her prescription I new someone's life was going to change. I put the glasses on her and I could see on her face that her world just lit up and she started to cry and I started to cry and we hugged and I told her I brought these glasses just for her. I'm even having trouble writing this without reliving the emotion of that moment today.That's why we come on these projects. The one thing you become aware of is how many people it takes, working together, to help in these projects.The first and most important is the people who take the time to donate their old glasses. I would like to ask people to be aware that they have to make the effort by donating clean (not bifocal) glasses in good condition to their local Optometrists, Opticians, Lion's Club or Rotary Clubs' and eventually we will get them. This project has as usual a great team leader and the team members are the greatest bunch of dedicated  people to know and work with. 
Tonight the team is off to Pier One, for some dancing and free special drinks thanks to the Mayor of Olongapo James Gordon Jr.  Tell you about that later.
Robert Dawson 
TWECS team member
Reply

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Dad! I know how much these clinics mean to you. Mum and I miss you very much. She's here for the weekend, so I'll keep her busy to keep her mind from missing you. Love you and see you soon Dad. Christina

    ReplyDelete